Since this year is about halfway over I wanted to take some time to review my goals that I had set out to complete by the end of 2014. View my goals here.
Although I have been somewhat productive, I’m still pretty far away from achieving my goals.
Does Setting Goals Really Work?
Even though I haven’t reached all of my goals, I still believe in the power of setting goals. If I hadn’t taken the time to create them, I would have no idea where I was or a clear direction as to what I’m working toward. So let’s review the first part of the year to see what I’ve been up to.
Goal 1 – Replace the income from my day job.
Although I have made some money, I’m nowhere near my goal of making 3k a month.
1. I recently had a baby and took several months off from doing any work on my side hustles.
2. I’m working on too many projects, as usually. Sometimes when you have too many irons in the fire not many things get completed.
3. I spent too much time trying to create passive income streams instead of working on proven businesses that I’ve worked on before, naming eBay and Amazon.
Goal 2 – Write regular/consistent content for this blog
This has been a total fail. Although I enjoy writing and blogging, I’ve been spending my “free time” working on other projects.
I also never scheduled a set day to publish posts. Going forward this is something I’m going to need to do in order to grow my blog into what I know it can be.
Goal 3 – Grow my social media profiles & blog community
While I have picked up the pace with posting to Twitter, I haven’t been interacting as much as I would like. I haven’t done much with Facebook at all.
Goal 4 – Expand my brand’s reach into video and podcasting
This has been put on the back burner until:
1. I can post regular blog posts here.
2. I come up with at least 10 video ideas and scripts. This way I can film in batches and will have videos scheduled to be uploaded over the course of ten weeks.
I haven’t decided if I will outsource the creation of the packs or write them myself. However I’m going to have to put this project on hold until I complete my other projects.
What are my revised short term goals for the remainder of the year?
Revised goal #1
Post at minimum once a month to this blog. That doesn’t seem like a lot bit it’s better than once every 3 or 4 months. It’s also a goal that should be attainable.
I’ve also decided to do a monthly income report. This report may just be the only post for the month.
The main reasons are :
1. See where I’m spending money. Unfortunately I have “shiny new object syndrome” and with that comes a lot of wasted money.
2. I need to see how much I’m actually making to see how close I am to reaching my main goal of replacing my income from my day job.
Revised goal #2
Direct my focus into creating an active income and not just passive.
How is this going to look?
- Increase my eBay listings. I want to maintain at least 100 listings per month.
If I can make a profit of at least $5 per sale, that comes to $500 a month gross sales. Obviously I want to make more than that but I feel that’s a reasonable start.
Revised goal #3
Work on expanding my info course library and Kindle books. Right now I have one course published on 2 platforms, Udemy and Skillfeed. I’ll be writing more about these two later.
On Kindle I have 4 books published, 2 under a pen name.
By the end of the year I want to have two more courses published on various platforms. I also want to publish four more Kindle books before year end. I outsourced the last 3 books but I’m not sure if I will continue will that route. More updates to come.
So that’s about it for now. Let me know how your goals for the year are going and if you’ve had to make some adjustments.